- 1 - Determine a moving budget
- 2 - And cheaper is not always better
- 3 - Clearly specify your requirements
- 4 - Pack ahead of time AND pack properly
- 5 - Do NOT give movers your valuables
Moving is exciting, especially if you have finally found the perfect house.
Unfortunately, moving also comes with its own set of risks that can come back to haunt you if you are not careful. Many people have moving horror stories to tell after they moved and it is best that you take precaution instead of becoming one of them.
Moving demands proper research and homework; it is not something one can just dive into.
Here are a few ways that you can avoid a moving nightmare and focus on the excitement of moving into a new home:
1 – Determine a moving budget
Unless you are really lucky to have family and friends that can all jump in and cart your items away, you are probably going to have to spend some money on moving.
The first thing that you need to do is work out a budget:
– You don’t want to go overboard with your finances, especially since you just put a deposit down on a new place;
– A budget will give you more control over the move and who you decide to hire;
– Research different companies and get more than one quote;
– Compare the prices and decide on the best one.
2 – And cheaper is not always better
You might be worried about your finances after deciding to make a big move, but you need to keep in mind that cheaper is not always the better option.
Do not choose the first and cheapest mover that you can find.
Go through reviews that other people left of the moving company if their quotation is significantly cheaper than the rest.
There have been many instances where customers have been scammed and they lost all their belongings. Rather choose a mover with high ratings even if it is a bit more expensive.
3 – Clearly specify your requirements
When you are busy with your research and getting quotes from different companies, you should specify your requirements as clearly as possible.
Be clear about your home and its belongings, and what is going to be transported. And if you are unsure, ask someone from the moving company to go to your house and give you an accurate quote.
Why is this important to do ahead of time? Well, if you don’t describe your items as accurately as possible, the moving company might increase the charges as soon as the move is over.
And needless to say, this might go way over the budget you carefully laid out.
4 – Pack ahead of time AND pack properly
Under no circumstances should you be packing the night before a big move.
This causes unnecessary stress!
So, start packing in advance, beginning with the items that you won’t be using in a while or items that you can go without. Take the initiative to pack as many things as you can.
And when you pack, use a system.
Mark boxes with a pen or a marker so that you can tell the movers exactly in which room to put it in when you get to your new place.
It will take more time and effort but you will end up thanking yourself.
5 – Do NOT give movers your valuables
Whilst you are making a list of things to move that the moving company needs to take care off, rather leave valuables off the list.
It might be tempting to hand over everything to them to make the move easier, but it might turn out to be a very bad move for you.
When you’re moving valuable items such as jewellery, heirlooms, and cash, you should rather keep those close and transport them yourself.
The reality is that you don’t know who is going to move your items, nor are you ever 100% sure of what might happen along the way.
Better safe than sorry – right?!
Other Educational Moving Articles:
- 5 Important Things Everyone Forgets to Do When Moving – Moving seems straightforward, yet it never is. In order to make the move more comfortable, here’s a list of things to remember before you say your final farewell.
- Moving Tips: How to Pack a House in 8 Easy Steps – As Maria mentioned in this article: “Moving is easy and packing is fun”, said no one ever! So how does one go about it correctly?
- 9 Money Saving Moving Tips – Moving costs a lot of money as it is, luckily some of it can be avoided or minimized, thanks to Kyle’s helpful article!
If you think this article was an interesting read, please share it across your social media platforms!